Saturday, December 21, 2013

Saving Mr. Banks

This perhaps has been one of those movies I have been longing to see for a long time. Being a person from the arts world myself, seeing how a vision can be taken and then put together and placed in an art form. This was no different upon going into this movie. I am not one who usually cries or has even the tug of emotion when I watch a piece. I know something can be sad, and I know something can be happy, etc. But when it comes to my actual watching of something I do not display the emotion itself. This movie, upon watching it, on numerous occasions had gotten me to tear up. Yes, even a man can cry once in a while.

I, being the aspiring Disney historian I am, have known about the story of P.L. Travers and Walt Disney, knowing that their relationship was anything but easy. Any Disney geek knows that in the making of this movie, and it had taken Walt Disney over twenty years to get Mrs. Travers to finally agree to relinquish the rights to the book to the Walt Disney Company. It was something of a conundrum when listening to these tapes and to why it had taken them so long to get the rights and why she was so stubborn to let it go. It seems now a days, unless you are J.K. Rowling, Stephanie Meyer, or even Cassandra Clare, the reason an author would let go of their work was to just further their monetary gain. P.L.Travers was not like the modern era, and while she, according to the movie that was presented, she needed the money herself, she did not sell out. She was very dedicated to what she had made, and she planned on making sure that no one made her work turn out to be anything she didn't want.

This movie, while the emphasis in the trailers seemed to be very much placed in the relationship of Walt Disney and P.L. Travers, the movie is actually about how Mrs. Travers came with the story of Mary Poppins and why the story was so important to her. Watching this movie, you understand where she is from and why she is so very much important to Mrs. Travers herself. I enjoyed this movie for that particular reason. It is not because you understand where the books come from, but how when people say "write what you know" that is what P.L. Travers had done with her book.She had done it in a way that was relatable, but also a way that would be fun for a child.

Another thing I loved about this movie is that you learned more about Walt Disney himself. You learn that Walt Disney had his own personal troubles, and it is particular because of this he has Disneyland as it is. I loved as well that it seemed the late Diane Disney Miller was the reason Mary Poppins exists in the movie form that it has for the past fifty years.

I would suggest this movie to anyone, and I would not be surprised that it won an Academy Award the upcoming Oscars.

No comments:

Post a Comment